PROFESSIONAL SCRUM PRODUCT OWNER™ - ADVANCED
Mastering the Product Owner Stances
Professional Scrum Product Owner™ – Advanced (PSPO-A) is a hands-on, activity-based course that focuses on helping experienced Product Owners and Product Managers expand their ability to establish a vision, validate their hypotheses, and ultimately deliver more value to their stakeholders. The course goes beyond the topics explored in the Professional Scrum Product Owner (PSPO) class by deepening the attendee’s understanding of the role through the exploration of the many stances of a professional Product Owner. Students should have at least one year of Product Owner experience and a practical knowledge of Scrum in order to participate in and benefit from these exercises. Having previously taken the PSPO class is recommended, but not required.
The course also includes a free attempt at the globally recognized Professional Scrum Product Owner II (PSPO II) certification exam.
In this two day class* students will gain a better understanding of what it means to deliver value and how to express that value inside and outside of their organization. Through a case study-based series of exercises, combined with instruction, students gain the entrepreneurial product leadership skills and practices critical to growing as a successful Product Owner.
The Product Owner role is multifaceted, requiring them to engage in behaviors and adopt mindsets beyond the core of Agility and the Scrum framework. Students explore these techniques and how to pivot among them by exploring several Product Owner “stances” including:
- The Customer Representative:
- Focus on understanding customer problems, pains and opportunities
- Get into the mindset of the customer, placing yourself in their world, understanding their needs
- Deliver value by connecting product features to customer outcomes
- The Visionary:
- Champion the future state, possibilities, goals and chances
- Communicate the product vision, strategy and Product Goal
- Understand value and pricing models
- The Experimenter:
- Focus on innovation through experiments, hypotheses, tests, learnings, data and validation of value
- Understand the Product Owner’s role in a scaled environment
- The Decision Maker:
- Focus on making better decisions
- Navigate conflicting customer feedback
- The Collaborator:
- Seek collaboration with stakeholders and the Scrum Team
- Work beyond the Scrum Team including contracts, finance, budgeting and governance in an agile way
- The Influencer:
- Lead the stakeholders, customers and Scrum Team, to move in the right direction and to change their minds, when necessary
- Learn how to create a stakeholder management strategy
* When offered in-person, this course is generally delivered over two consecutive days. When offered as a Live Virtual Class, the course may be broken up into more, shorter days.
View the different Focus Areas covered within this class and others.
Course Learning Objectives
- Experienced Product Owners will learn different stances a Product Owner takes in order to navigate everyday challenges
- Modern complementary practices will be introduced through discussions, case studies and exercises
- Students will leave with a clear understanding of Agile Product Management as they continue on their Product Owner journey
- Learn about the various types of stakeholders that Product Owners represent and how to best work with them.
Who Should Attend
This course is designed for Product Owners, Product Managers, and Business Analysts focusing heavily on Product Management skills, tools, techniques, and knowledge as part of their work on the Scrum Team. The course does not address the Scrum framework (much), and we assume people have a proper understanding of the Scrum framework. Participants should have at least one year of experience as a Product Owner or Product Manager, while multiple years of experience and having attended the Professional Scrum Product Owner course and passing PSPO is preferred, but not mandatory.
Other people that might benefit from the PSPO-A course include:
- Scrum Masters / Agile Coaches
- Company leaders
Professional Scrum Certification
All participants completing the Professional Scrum Product Owner – Advanced course will receive a password to attempt the Professional Scrum Product Owner II (PSPO II) assessment. The industry-recognized PSPO II certification requires a minimum passing score of 85%. PSPO-A class participants who attempt the PSPO II assessment within 14 days of receiving their free password and do not score at least 85% will be granted a second attempt at no additional cost.
You are also entitled to a discount on the PSPO III assessment.
Scrum.org training provides a hands-on, activity-based learning experience using a consistent set of materials around the world no matter which of our Professional Scrum Trainers (PSTs) is teaching the course. Each course explores real-world challenges to help students apply what they learn in their roles once back at work.
Each Scrum.org course is assigned 2 stewards who work with the PST community to crowdsource the maintenance of the courseware. The stewards are ultimately responsible for collecting input on the course materials, both those that exist and potentially additions to be made and provide updates as required.
On their path to becoming a PST, they must have several years of Scrum experience. Once PST candidates apply, they then go through an extensive process that includes: interviews, validation of knowledge, training, peer reviews and more.
PSTs bring their own style and experiences with a consistent delivery of Scrum.org training around the world, so you know each course we teach is aligned with Professional Scrum, and all of your teammates are learning from the same course materials.
Find out more about what makes Scrum.org different.